Thursday, August 11, 2011

1999 Chateau Simard Saint - Emilion


When I first opened this bottle of aged Bordeaux all I could think was breathe, baby breathe!!  My wine mentor and all around life coach Charles Scicolone once told me, in a thick Brooklyn accent, "Bill, old wine is like an old man and you don't shake up an old man." For those of you who don't speak Brooklynese, Charles was saying when you open a wine with some age you have to let it wake up. So be patient and you will be rewarded with more than just a drink… an experience.

Chateau Simard is situated on the sunny southern slopes of Saint-Emilion. The estate is surrounded by first growth vineyards. The grapes of Simard have excellent exposure and grow in soil made up of clay, sand and gravel. The wine making is traditional in style with an emphasis on aging the wines prior to their release. The current vintage is 1999, while the current vintages of most other Bordeaux on the market are 2005, 2006 or 2007 and even younger for Bordeaux Superior. Chateau Simard prides themselves in delivering wines of great value that are ready to drink now.

The first hour after I popped the cork the juice was tight and tasted like Merlot water. As the second hour approached the sun began to rise over the mountains, and my wine yawned and shook off the cobwebs. He had put on his robe of velvet tannins, picked a bowl full of black cherries for breakfast, and opened up the door to the cedar wood sauna. He showed the elegant power of a Bordeaux twice the price, yet remained humble at only $29.99. By the third hour the party was in full swing and he was singing Prince's 1999 at the top of his lungs "If you didn't come to party, don't bother knocking on my door!" Well, maybe that was me. I love an older wine!

I would pair this beauty with lamb chops, roasted chicken or something fatty like duck. Nothing too heavy, but don't be afraid, this wine is versatile. It would pair well with a wide range of dishes. Do yourself a favor, hit up the Jug and grab a bottle of 1999 Chateau Simard .

2 comments:

  1. Brilliantly written and sexily drank I'm sure...well played buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I drank it real sexy like.... I think?

    ReplyDelete